Wednesday, March 23, 2011

AppleTV Netflix HD streaming is looking good!

I'm late to the game, but am just about wrapped up with season one of the modern Battlestar Galactica series.  So far, I'm very impressed with the quality of the streaming on my LCD.  Probably the most impressive examples are the sharpness and vibrant colors in the title sequences.  I was also surprised at how good the Viper ships look when flying over terrestrial backgrounds.  During action, when the camera moves a lot and
there are dynamic elements such as smoke or water, I can see some compression artifacts, but overall I am most satisfied.  I might check out the Blu-ray version for comparison.
My only regret with my current setup is that AppleTV 2 is currently restricted to 720p (which I'm hoping a firmware update will remedy someday soon).  Without the 5.1 speaker configuration, I'm probably missing out on one heck of a mix.  This just might convince me to crawl into the attic and drop some speaker wires through the ceiling, especially since last weeks AppleTV operating system upgrade ushered in 5.1 Dolby Digital for Netflix streaming.  It just gets better and better folks.

No comments: