Sunday, July 24, 2011

Netflix Price Changes - To stream and only to stream- that is the question.

On July 12, Netflix announced that they are separating the price plans for streaming and mailed discs.  Being a member that prefers to have both, this $5 per month increase (plus tax) is pretty annoying, but not terrible if I have to switch to renting via iTunes for new stuff. 
I'm seriously considering dropping the disc altogether, even though the streaming choices aren't great and will leave me waiting for new releases even longer.  Of course, Blu-ray looks better than HD streaming, but if shows like Battlestar Galactica are an example of good streaming compression, I'm willing to accept that for now, until AppleTV and iTunes get their 1080p butts in gear.  It's not the end of the world, but considering that Netflix is not offering any sort of catalog upgrade or other perks for paying this extra $5, it's kind of like getting an offer we can't refuse, if you know what I mean.  My family likes streaming, and I'm the only one who gets the discs, so maybe we can survive for a while.

No comments: